Sunday 26 February 2012

Sea Cozy Tea Cozy (I hope)


Started a new knitting project last weekend while slumming it in a cabin in the Laurentians. Hot tub, pool table, fireplace and lots of big squishy couches perfect for curling up with a mug of tea and a crafty sort of project.

This is my first time knitting with two colours of yarn and it's turning out to be easier than I had expected. I've been knitting off and on for a good 10 years now, but it's been far more off than on, so I've accomplished little more than a few scarves. Knitting isn't my first, or even second or third favorite creative/crafty activity so it often gets pushed aside in favor of other things.

Eventually, hopefully, this will becomes a tea cozy. I'm using this pattern I found on Ravely.

I've added a few rows of single-colour garter stitch at the bottom on the recommendation of various Ravely people - apparently it keeps the strands that get carried across the back from peeking out.

Hopefully I don't have to frog this and restart - I'm worried about my tension now that I'm on the stripes. The pulling of the yarn across the back to make the ribs stand out seems to make me want to knit very tightly.

Yarn: Cascade Pacific
Colourway: 23 & 66
Pattern: linked above. 

3 comments:

  1. Ooo, pretty colour choices (and entirely you)! My Grandma has been making slippers in that pattern for as long as I can remember. It's very good for keeping in the heat, so should be good for keeping your tea nice and warm. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a classic pattern eh?

      Did your grandmother line the slippers at all? I love the idea of this pattern as slippers, but getting my toes caught between the carried yarn at the back would drive me bonkers. I suppose I could just wear socks, but if I'm wearing socks I don't need slippers. At least thats the logic my twisted world runs on.

      My non-knitting grandmother always has a basket full of knit slippers (made by an aunt) that she still tries to get us to wear when we visit. She has a classic Eastern European fear of cold and drafts and thinks slippers will prevent colds. She's adorable.

      Delete
    2. Sorry for the late response. Just saw this now. Grandma doesn't line the slippers. I've never really noticed getting my toes caught in the yarn, but then, I usually wear socks with them. I usually do, though. I figure if it's cold enough to wear slippers, I'll obviously also need to wear socks to keep my ankles warm!

      But remember, I hate being hot, so if I need slippers, extra warmth is needed. :D

      Delete